campus murals in Montezuma Hall

Advising and Frequently Asked Questions

Advising for CCS Majors and Minors

EFFECTIVE 3/13/20, all face-to-face advising for CCS majors and minors will be temporarily suspended due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Email and phone advising will continue.

Phone advising by appointment is reserved for our majors and minors only. Appointment slots are currently available on Thursdays between 11:30-12:30 and 3-4 PM. Please email the undergraduate advisor, Dr. Maria Ibarra at [email protected], with a phone appointment request 48 hours in advance.

Email advising is very useful for a form signature request or a general question about the major.

For general advising questions not related to the major, please contact the university’s Office of Advising and Evaluations. Virtual advising sessions (and phone) are available to assist you with questions regarding General Education requirements, progress towards graduation, course planning, and understanding advising tools and resources.

Annual summer orientations sessions for our first year and transfer students are organized by the College of Arts and Letters and information about these are sent to you directly and posted here.  

The department website is a great resource, especially for commonly asked questions and for information about our faculty and current events. You can also find a range of information under the “Undergraduate Program” tab, including

Checklists for the major and minors:

Other Resources

Major and minor declaration forms can be found here:

Instructions: If you wish to declare CCS as a major or minor, please fill out top part of the appropriate form then e-mail it to me for my signature.  I will then sign and return to you so that you may submit it to the Registrar’s office. 

Also, to see other academic support and resources available to you in this difficult time, please visit


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Go to the CCS department office at AL 348 and ask for a Declaration or Change of Undergraduate Major and Minor form. Take it to the Undergraduate Adviser and have her help you fill it out and sign it. Afterwards, submit the form to the Registrar’s Office.
Yes, you can take any lower division course such as CCS 110, 141A or 141B at a community college as long as that college has an articulation agreement for the course with SDSU. This ensures that you will receive credit at SDSU for the course taken at a community college. If you are not sure if a community college course articulates with an SDSU course check with their student advising services. They should have a list of the courses that articulate with SDSU courses.

Important Links

Undergraduate Adviser

Dr. María Ibarra

Phone: (619) 594-0316
Email: [email protected]