Chapter 12: Barrio Logan and the Struggle to Preserve a Neighborhood
- What is the economic and social reality of Barrio Logan?
- What is the public’s view of Barrio Logan?
- What is gentrification and how does it affect Barrio Logan?
- What is DURO?
- What kind of actions did DURO take to oppose gentrification?
- Why did mostly women oppose gentrification?
- How is the struggle against gentrification linked to ethnic identity?
- How does the struggle against gentrification involve language?
- What is the importance of neighborhood for barrio residents?
- What are the motives for those women who become activists?
In Barrio Logan, the gentrification threatens to destroy traditional neighborhoods and force people to move out because of rising housing prices and taxes . The resistance to gentrification, led by barrio women, is a fascinating case study of Chicano politics. In the struggle against gentrification is an attempt to preserve a cultural and social space which is important to the values and heritage of Mexicans in San Diego.